Saturday, February 7, 2009

Rimtang restaurant in Phuket Town

I had heard of this restaurant before, but a couple of weeks ago we went with my wife's sister who works in Phuket town and seems to know all the good lunch spots.. which makes me wonder if they do any work at the bank or just eat lunch all day!

Rimtang is on Thung Kha road a bit north of the center of Phuket Town near the Satree Phuket school. It's just off the road, but has a big sign, so it's hard to miss...

Rimtang restaurant entrance

Inside the entrance there's plenty of parking, while the restaurant itself is half hidden behind plants, trees and flowers. It has a peaceful feeling, but I hear it can be very busy at lunchtime during the week. Rimtang is open every day and based on my first meal there I would say is well worth looking for - I will be back soon to check out more of the menu.

Rimtang restaurant

Rimtang restaurant in Phuket Town

The food we had was simple (fried rice, chicken with garlic and pepper), but I want to go back to try some of the Phuket specialties. We did get a couple of plates of fried tofu which comes with a nut/chili sauce. Very tasty.

Fried tofu at Rimtang restaurant

There are plenty of drinks on offer too - different teas and herbal drinks (I just had a simple ice tea).. and ice chocolate for the kidz :)

Drinks at Rimtang restaurant

We'll go back soon. I want to try the Mee Hoon, a Phuket style of noodles. You can also get Khanom Jeen, which is very popular round here - white noodles, rather sticky and ladled with (normally) some kind of curry. I am not a big fan, but my wife loves it. Also, I heard you can get some of the best mango and sticky rice at Rimtang.. I think mango and sticky rice deserves a blog entry!

Aside from the food, Rimtang also has a shop selling local snacks made of dried fish, cuttlefish, shrimps, different nuts, rice cakes, dried fruits.. a big range of tasty items. Good to take home for friends and family to try. We always have some snacks of some kind around the kitchen somewhere!



Rimtang is one of those "must go back soon" restaurants. Just need to find the time. Phuket town has a lot of good eating well off the tourist trap trail. Oh, and I should mention our bill that day for 3 adults, 2 kids, with about 7 dishes of food and 8 drinks and some snacks from the shop.... 510 Baht. Good eating, good price!

Update September 2010 - some new photos...

Mango and Sticky Rice

(above) Mango and sticky rice with coconut cream. Delicious.

Mee Hoon

(above) Mee Hoon - rice noodles fried in soy sauce with flaked dried onion and a pork rib soup. Also delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment