Friday, April 7, 2006

Phuket Restaurant Tips: Dairy Hut

Another restaurant we like, away from the tourist area, is Dairy Hut. Sounds like an ice cream parlour, and with a big cow outside the door, you might think you could stroll in and order a Sundae, but in fact it's a normal restaurant. Located on a side street next to the Phuket Bangkok hospital in Phuket Town.

I first found it by accident. On the day my son was born, I went for a walk with my daughter to look for some food near the hospital. We found a small cheap Thai restaurant, but unfortunately they were just closing up. I asked where we could get some food, and they pointed down the road. We found Dairy Hut, and yes, I thought it was an ice cream place, but we went inside and were happy to find it air conditioned and smoke free. I checked the menu and realised we could get real food. Don't remember what we had, but it was tasty and filling and inexpensive and they could do take away, so we took some food for my mother in law.

Dairy Hut Entrance Inside is aircon, but there's a big dining area outside too

Dairy Hut does Thai and some Western food (burgers, spaghetti, breakfasts), is nicely decorated with big wooden tables and comfortable wooden chairs. They have a big screen TV which sometimes plays Thai soaps, but last night was showing Survivor. The indoor area is air conditioned, but there is also an outdoor area. I guess the total capacity would be close to 100 people if full. Food always comes fast, service is friendly.

Dairy Hut - Location on Google Earth

Took my parents there last night. I ordered the "Yam Dairy Hut". Yam is Thai for Salad. Thai salads can be killer hot, I made sure to order it with less chili. Bloody tasty! Parents ate fried rice with green curry, which mum said was a bit spicy. Daughter ate a huge plate of spaghetti. Dairy Hut has another bonus - Draught Beer Chang. A 1 liter jug is 99 Baht, and is very satisfying! The draught tastes much cleaner and lighter than the bottled beer. Oh, the bill for 4 adults, plus kids food, beer, other drinks, total 460 Baht (12 US$ or 7 pounds UK).

No comments:

Post a Comment